As a young man growing up in Detroit, I attended public schools where I was a member of the majority. As a member of the majority, the voices of students and our parents were elevated. However, by high school my family moved to the suburbs, and I attended Oak Park High School, a majority Jewish school. A school where I immediately became a member of the minority, and my voice and the voice of my family were all but silenced!
- Injustice - systemically being excluded, punished, or prevented from opportunities your competitors have.
- Advantage - having distinct resources and/or opportunities over your competitors.
- Justice - removing institutional or systemic obstacles or advantages so all competitors have equitable access and opportunity.
- Do I believe my child's school is biased against my child’s ethnicity and culture?
- Do I believe my child's school is blind to the benefits of my child's culture?
- Do I believe I should help the school build a more culturally sensitive school culture?